Monday, May 4, 2009

Next Year's Living Arrangements

Just today, I learned where I'll be living in Germany. 

It's a small, North German city of about 150,000 called Neuss, just to the West of Düsseldorf. I'm extremely excited, as Düsseldorf is very similar in size to my current city of residence, and Neuss, from what I've seen via Google images, is home to some seriously beautiful, medieval architecture (as well as located on the Rhine). As an added bonus, I'll be very close to the Netherlands, Belgium and France. Train trips are in my future.

I really haven't researched all that thoroughly yet, but I did find an interesting fact about Neuss somewhere on the internet: apparently, there's a huge heap of garbage somewhere in the city that people there are considering making into a ski slope (because the rest of the terrain is, apparently, quite flat). Somehow, the idea that I will be living in a city where the residents will gladly ski down a mountainous trash heap comforts me beyond measure. It sounds like something people would do where I live (after they'd gotten over bitching about the environmental irresponsibility of having a mountainous trash heap, which admittedly could take ages).

1 comment:

  1. that's so great that you heard about your host family and that it sounds good. i think that being at least close to a city will be a huge advantage. i'm going to france next year and i found you my friend's blog (she's on congress-bundestag right now). i don't have my host family yet, and i'm really anxious to find out. congratulations on getting c.b. also, from what i've heard, the winners are usually really smart/motivated/interesting, so i'm sure you'll be with a lot of great people during your year. good luck!

    ReplyDelete