Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Words a-flowin'

In the last two days I have successfully written both a sonnet and a long German poem. Now I am perhaps a tad too proud of myself, but this is the most I've written in a long while, outside of the occasional blog post and the necessary long-winded essay.

Lately I've been in good spirits, especially as the weather has been balmy and sunny here. Today it was back to a dark sky and torrents of rain, but at least the weekend was glorious in its 80-degree splendor. Summer is just around the corner, made ever more apparent by my impending return to the U.S. in just under one month. This year went by fast, but not too fast that I won't appreciate the wonder of being home.

Still, there are definitely things I will miss about Germany. The delicious cheese, for example. Brötchen for breakfast. Olive oil for 2 or 3 Euros per bottle. Efficient public transportation. And of course, the supportive friends I've made along the way.

But it's time to start a new life-chapter, and I'm ready. Over the next few weeks, I plan to enjoy my last days in Europe to the fullest, taking in all that I can and saving it up as a memory that I can always revisit, fondly, in my mind's eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment